Воспринимать устную английскую речь иногда бывает недостаточно для правильного понимания смысла высказывания истинного англичанина.
В данной заметке собраны некоторые типично британские слова, которые иногда приводят американцев, австралийцев и других англоговорящих в замешательство.
1. Beefeater - This is the name given to the guards at the Tower of London and a chain of cheap steak restaurants. One is worth visiting, one is worth avoiding!
- стражи Тауэра и сеть дешевых забегаловок
2. Boffin - This is the word for a nerd. Usually male, a boffin would be highly intelligent, have no dress sense and probably grow up to be a mad scientist or a programmer!
3. Father Christmas - Santa Claus in America, though I'm not sure he's the same bloke. I saw him in London when I was leaving for New York, and when I arrived, hey he was there too!
- Дед Мороз
4. Job's worth - A job's worth is a person who is inflexible in their job, even if it means upsetting their customer. For example, if a restaurant served custard with apple pie and you wanted ice cream instead, a job's worth would be the kind of waiter who would refuse to give you ice cream because it wasn't listed like that on the menu. The excuse would be that it was more than their job's worth.
- сердитый официант
5. Lollipop man - Every kid loves the lollipop man (or lady of course). They stand in the middle of the street and hold this huge lollipop up to stop the traffic as the kids cross the road. Actually it's not a real lollipop - it is a sign that tells the traffic to "STOP, CHILDREN CROSSING". Sometimes called a crossing guard in the US.
- знак „СТОП”
6. Mother - Don't be alarmed if a British bloke says "Shall I be Mother?". This would happen when the family sit down to a pot of tea or a slice of cake and someone needs to pour or cut for everyone. Whoever gets to do the honours is being "Mother".
- разливающий за столом
7. Nosey parker - Someone who sticks their nose into everyone else’s business.
- любопытная Варвара.
8. Skiver - A skiver is someone who evades something. For example a truant is someone who skives off school instead of studying - I should know!
- прогульщик, лентяй
9. Wally - This is another term for someone who has been a bit stupid.
- простак, глупыш
10. Yank - An American. The Brits refer to the Americans as "yanks" in general. Whether you are from the north or the south!
- янки (американец).